The MLA format is developed by the organization named Modern Language Association (MLA). It allows the researchers, scholars, and students of the literature fields to format their papers and essays.
A well-formatted paper helps to allow easy reading. Now this citation style has been adopted by many people in different subject areas.
The MLA organization has released its most current edition of the MLA handbook in 2016. This handbook provides instructions on citing work according to the Modern Language Association’s rules and standards.
Citing a paper properly is indeed a challenging task for most of the students. Therefore, they often end up taking help from a write my essay service. However, if you want to cite your paper yourself, go through this detailed guide to get a better idea.
Let’s have a look at the basic formatting guidelines of the MLA.
- Use a white 8 ½ x 11” paper
- Draw 1-inch margins on the bottom, bottom, and both sides
- The first word of each paragraph must be indented one half inch
- Indent quotations one inch from the left margin
- Use fonts such as Times New Roman
- Use 12 font size
- Double-space the entire paper and the work cited page
- Leave one space after periods and other punctuation marks
MLA Guide Overview
Below given are the sections included in the MLA guide. The components of each section should be kept in mind when writing a research paper.
Formatting the Header
- The MLA formatted heading is to be placed at the top of the first page
- To format the header, begin with one inch from the top of the page
- Write your name, instructor’s name, the course number, and the date using double spaces
- Center the title but don’t underline, or bold it
- Do not place a period after the title or any other heading
Running Head and Page Numbers
A running head is a heading that must be positioned in the top right corner of every page. According to the MLA format, it consists of:
- Last name of the essay writer
- Page number
- Similarly, the head should be placed half an inch from the top margin and one inch from the right margin
- Don’t place the word “page,” or an abbreviation, such as p. or pg., before the page number
- Place it in the upper right-hand corner and one-half inch from the top
- Type your last name before the page number
Quotations in MLA
Quotations are mainly added to the essay papers to defend the argument and prove a point. Thus, use quotes from authentic sources to enhance the credibility of your writing piece. So it is important to give credits to the author in an “in-text citation”.
Here, you can cite a source with the help of footnotes and endnotes. They are used to share background information and counterexamples.
For including a footnote or endnote, add a superscript number at the end of the sentence. With this, you can refer to a note. Moreover, it can also be included in the mid-sentence if necessary.
Punctuation in MLA
The main punctuation marks include commas, concluding sentences, and quotes.
- Use commas for the people to pause while reading. It may also help them to understand the right context
- After closing a sentence with a punctuation mark, begin the next one after one space
- While using a quotation in a paper, place the period at the end of the sentence
Abbreviation in MLA
Abbreviations are typically used in many sources like blogs, books, or articles. However, according to the MLA format, while writing research papers, abbreviations should be avoided.
Instead, spell out the abbreviations in full words is recommended to avoid any confusion. Also, keep in mind, not to place periods in between capital letters.
MLA Work Cited Format
The following elements should be kept in mind while citing the sources in your paper:
- The work cited list is the last page of a research paper
- The top of the page must include running head and the page number
- All the sources must be cited in alphabetical order
- This page should be double spaced
Most students find this task as the most difficult one while writing a research paper. Therefore, they end up hiring college essay writing services to cite the sources perfectly.
Editing and Proofreading
Editing and proofreading the research paper is an important step before the final submission. It involves checking the following elements.
Spelling: Check if all the words, names, and places are spelled correctly. You can run the assignment through a spell checker. However, they may not always identify every mistake. Therefore, you can ask a friend to read your paper.
Grammar: Make sure that you have used proper grammar. There are also various grammar checkers available to check your assignment. Take enough time to review the recommendations and revisions from these programs.
Punctuation: Ensure that each sentence of your paper has an ending punctuation mark. Also, check if the hyphens, commas, and colons, are placed in the right places.
Citation: Check if all the quotations are included in a citation. Create an in-text citation for every piece of information.
Pro Tip: It is a good practice to run your MLA formatted research paper through a check before final submission. However, you can also ask someone from your friends or family to proofread it thoroughly
Lastly, a legit college essay writing service can also help you to proofread your work at affordable rates.