It almost always skips and buffers every 1-2 minutes. It buffers 2-3secs for up to 20 secs. Sometimes it buffers 3 times within a minute of playback, sometimes it plays for 5 minutes without.
I've done everything in the pinned topics, this forum and others and just general troubleshooting:
- change video resolution (makes no difference)
- malware/adware scan
- eliminating every OSX process/app possible while streaming
- restarting every device in the house (laptop, chromecast, router, cable modem)
- reset Chromecast factory defaults
- no other users of my network/wifi while testing
- change wifi channels (multiple channels tried on both 2.4 and 5GHz)
- changing encoding bitrates of individual files
- testing with different filetypes of varying sizes (some seem to use a lot of CPU when streaming but others seem to use very little and still buffer all the time..). .mp4, .mkv, .avi
- toggled every option in VS
- Unininstalled and reinstalled both VS and the Chromecast extension
I'm within 3 meters of both the router and my chromecast device.
Being frustrated I decided to look for alternatives... I don't like Plex because I don't want to run a server - but I tried it for the first time and guess what? It works fine for everything I've tried playing through it. Never skips - files that use 90+% CPU with VS never exceed 30%. I hate the UI but I guess this demonstrates the issue is something with VS - at least in my case.
This dev team was really responsive (and really cool to deal with) when I had an issue before (resolved). I'd love to use and pay for this app - but it just doesn't work for me. Although I'm not positive, I'm pretty sure things used to work better before the big update. If there was a way to "roll back" I'd definitely try it.