American Football: Aaron Jones of the Green Bay Packers drops a necklace with his father's ashes on the field

• Aaron Jones lost a necklace he wears with a bit of black American football holding part of his late father's ashes while celebrating one of his four touchdowns.

That was about the only thing that went wrong against the Detroit Lions for Jones and the Green Bay Packers.

Jones caught three of Aaron Rodgers' four touchdown passes and ran for a fourth, and the Packers returned to form on Monday night, dominating the second half en route to a 35-17 victory against the division foe Lions.

The Packers, who were thrashed 38-3 in Week 1 by the New Orleans Saints, looked more like the club that went 13-3 in coach Matt LaFleur's first two seasons. Green Bay (1-1) won their eighth home opener in a row.
    "I believe that there are, much more so today than when I began playing, a plethora of overreactions that occur every week," Rodgers remarked. "So it's great to come out and put on a good show and silence the haters for at least a week."

Jones became the first Packers running back since Andy Uram against the Chicago Cardinals in 1942 to grab three touchdown receptions in a game. He carried the ball 17 times for 67 yards and caught six passes for 48 yards.

Concerning the lost jewelry, he hoped to see it again.
    "I believe the grounds staff is just about to go out there and take a look," Jones remarked. "However, if there was any place to lose it, it is the location where my father would have wanted me to lose it, so I know he is laughing."

Alvin Jones Sr., Jones' father, died on April 8.

"My father has always told me that what defines a man is how you react to hardship," Jones said. "I believe we came out and responded well. We performed well. We performed well."

Rodgers completed 22 of 27 passes for 255 yards, overtaking John Elway for tenth place all-time with 51,633 passing yards. Rodgers has responded to each of the Packers' five regular-season defeats with four touchdown passes and no interceptions in the next game.

Jared Goff of the Detroit Lions completed 13 of his first 14 passes but struggled the rest of the way as the Lions (0-2) squandered a 17-14 halftime lead. Goff completed 26 of 36 passes for 246 yards. He connected with Quintez Cephus and T.J. Hockenson on touchdown passes, threw an interception, and lost a fumble.
    Green Bay took control of the game with touchdowns on its first three second-half drives.

"We kept shooting ourselves in the foot," Goff said.

On their first series of the second half, the Packers faced third-and-12 when Rodgers completed a 50-yard pass to Davante Adams, who finished the game with eight receptions for 121 yards.

Ifeatu Melifonwu, the Lions' rookie cornerback, suffered a thigh injury on the play, further eroding a secondary that had lost Jeff Okudah to a torn Achilles tendon in Detroit's season-opening defeat to the San Francisco 49ers.

Green Bay controlled the remainder of the game.

"At times, all it takes is one play," Rodgers said. "I believe the pass over the top to Davante sparked us."

Rodgers completed a 22-yard touchdown throw to Robert Tonyan to finish the drive. Detroit's subsequent series ended when Goff completed a pass on fourth-and-1 from the Green Bay 25.

Rodgers connected with Jones on an 11-yard touchdown throw to increase the Packers' lead to 28-17.

On the Lions' next play, Krys Barnes of Green Bay recovered Goff's fumble at the Detroit 23. Jones scored on a one-yard run, and that was the end of the game.

Read About More Gymnastic Sports

Acrobatic Gymnastics

Aerobic Gymnastics

Artistic Gymnastics

Rhythmic Gymnastics

Trampoline Gymnastics

Tumbling